Earlier this morning I laid out the logistics of how I arrived here, today… I’m beginning the spiritual discipline of Devotional Reading.
Here I am, bible, pencil, virtual journal, and book. I am rea… ugh, why is it so hard to dive in?! My heels are digging deep, my resistance is strong, I have no umph to fan this tiny ember.
Please be before me, lead me, guide me. I desire to know you more, but…
I want to be in your company, I’m here. Help me.
I appreciate that the author of this book continues to hold my hand as I feel so anti and aimless trying to force this practice. But I do believe obedience will lead to “unforced rhythms of grace,” like the she assures. Here’s how to walk through this:
- Set aside time, at least 20 min
- Pray, ask for help. Read the scriptures. Pray for the “desire” to be fulfilled.
- Read the chapter, go slow, take all rabbit trails. Go through questions and exercises. (Obviously each time you do this it’ll look different, and you may not get to everything)
- Take 5 minutes to respond in prayer.
- Claim your time with one word you can meditate on throughout the day.
- Offer yourself to God for this day.
Here’s how day 1 went for me… (post coming)